Environment

 

The region of Ycoden Daute Isora has an area of ??about 1600 hectares dedicated to the cultivation of the vineyard, of which 306 are controlled by the Regulatory Council. The soils dedicated to the cultivation of the vineyard in the region are of varied composition, predominantly the compounds of ashes and volcanic rocks. In general, they are acidic soils of high organic matter content that are grown on terraces to prevent erosion and achieve maximum use of agricultural land.

The vineyard plots are located between 50 and 1,400 meters above sea level. They are generally small plots, steep and that almost do not allow mechanization.

The climate of the region is characterized mainly by the presence of innumerable microclimates. Trade winds, the influence of the Atlantic Ocean, high average altitude and sea currents mark the development of the vine, causing it to vary significantly from sea level to the highest levels of the region. This encourages the harvest times to last for a period exceeding four months, from July to October.

The average annual temperatures are around 19º C, with highs in the warmest months of August and September of 35º C and minimums of 15º C in the coldest months of January and February. The average rainfall is around 540 mm / year.

Varieties

 

Ycoden Daute Isora currently dedicates 80% of its area to the cultivation of Listán Blanco y Negro, with the remaining 20% dedicated to the other varieties.

Authorized red varieties:
Tintilla, Listán Negro, Malvasía Rosada, Negramoll, Castellana, Baboso Negro, Bastardo Negro, Moscatel Negro y Vijariego Negra.

Authorized white varieties:

Bermejuelo o Marmajuelo, Gual, Malvasía, Moscatel, Pedro Ximénez, Verdello, Vijariego, Albillo, Baboso Blanco, Bastardo Blanco, Forastera Blanca, Listán Blanca, Sabro, Torrontés.

Types of Driving

 

The driving systems of the vineyard in the region are multiple and all come from the applications of the study, the adaptation of the land, the weather and the experience of the wine growers. The main factor to take into account is the fact that the Canary Islands is a territory free of phylloxera, which allows the vine grower to plant on a free foot.

 

Emparrado de Icod: It is one of the most peculiar systems for its marked inclination and proximity to the boundaries of the plots, in order to take advantage of the annexed soils for other agricultural uses. The height of the trellis allows good ventilation of the grapes and a great light exposure of the leaf surface.

Espaldera: It is the most recently used procedure and the only one that constantly expands its implementation. The most relevant elements that justify its proliferation are its results in quality and quantity of production, as well as cost savings in labor, since it does allow mechanization.

Cordones o rastras: a peculiar system in which, as a braid and a height of 50 cm of soil, the vine is supported on fork. It is a system with high production costs and limited yields, compared to more modern ones.

Vaso irregular: concentrated in some points of the region, it is one of the first methods that were introduced in the island, although at the moment it is in disuse by its little yields.

Parral bajo: It is another system that has begun to fall into disuse. Its horizontal distribution at one meter high, promotes a wide foliar exposure and sufficient ventilation of the fruit, originating its main difficulty in the labor effort required by all processes.

Se recomienda el consumo responsable